Wednesday 18 July 2007

School Sports Day

A realisation of 20th Century meets 21st Century!

In my day (oh how old does that make me sound) I was an athlete, played every sport going, practised 3 nights a week whether it be netball, rounders or athletics. So come school sports day I was ready for any competitor. My spikes were ready along with my kit the night before.

Today was my 'ers Sports Day (I call the teenager 'er' as that is the extent of the language of a teen 'like er whatever!'). I had established that the 'er' was competing only in the relay... what no 100 meters, no long jump, no hurdles?

This morning consisted of a mither , upon waking, of 'where is my black velour tracksuit and the top we got in Matalan yesterday?' ' I need my Shocks not my K-Swiss as my Shocks are better for running in '
The 'er' then came down stairs ready for school. I glanced round, and then took a double take!!
'Have you got hair extensions in?' I exclaimed!
'Yes & ?' came the reply
'But you are doing sports day?' I said
'Yes I know Mum, I have my hair tied up, so what is the problem? Don't fuss!'

I also noticed the spray tan had been applied along with full makeup and the nails had been French manicured......................

To add insult to injury, coming from a once really sporty school kid.... a mate of 'er' called round and said ' I would rather do Maths all day than do Sports Day!'

I gingerly asked why and said how much I had enjoyed sport at school

The reply was ' oh no way, how can you do that with everyone watching, it is soooo embarrassing?'

That was never a thought in my head at 'er' years, I wanted to compete and do my best...... so I apologise here and now that I and other parents have bred more Paris Hiltons to populate the world.
And gone are the beautiful days were the child would be in the sack race, face glowing and smiling with pride as Mum watched and cheered and the child would give it their all!!

No comments: