Tuesday 16 June 2009

Shrimping around


I have been rooting around on my SD cards since the death of my computer a few weeks ago and came across these photos I took last year.

Being brought up on the NW coast of England these guys were commonplace as I trotted down to the beach as a teenager.... the shrimper vehicles. Southport shrimps are to die for, so very tasty... a regional delicacy.
This is my favourite place to walk the dog these days. It is not popular with the locals as it has been given over to nature and the sands have almost gone.
but the vehicles that go out in season into the Irish Sea to catch their booty are beautiful in a quirky kind of way.. they are battered and worn and patched up to go out and do it again & again & again...



Also loving the local signs that have been put up .. no 'cockling' etc


However much I am loving where I stroll and love potted shrimps I was no way tempted by this load of discarded lot.. although the pup was straining at the leash!!

2 comments:

Daddy Papersurfer said...

My grandfather had a place right on the beach at Pevensey Bay when I were a lad [as did my parents a bit later on] and I used to love shrimping. Occasionally I'd catch a dab as well.
It worried me when my Dad threw them into the boiling water to cook although that didn't stop me eating them!!!

Randompom aka AEIB said...

Ah a Limanda limanda... I don't think we have those up here. How excited you went shrimping... did they have the horse drawn shrimpers then??... just askin' ;-)