Tuesday 29 July 2008

hey hey 'tis summer.......



I am aghast! We have had 3 days uninterrupted sun.
In the UK up North this is certainly a result. Sad as it may seem but each sunny day is cherished and remebered.
A few weeks ago I visited the Manchester Science Museum and witnessed a 'talk' (along side a league of different nations) about the Manchester cotton trade in the 1800s.
This area was ideal for spinning cotton as it was so damp apparently!!
Gosh why didn't I know this before I bought my house here and settled in the area??

Yesterday, I ventured back home to Southport and spent a great few hours on the beach there. The sun shone hard and the sea?? Well the sea was absent. I had quite forgotten this,as in the summer months the tide goes so far out you can't even see it.

We walked .. under the Pier and beyond and still we could not see the sea.







4 comments:

Daddy Papersurfer said...

I did done see your doggy! I've always taken loads of photos under piers ........ I wonder why?
Penfold and I wee saying yesterday that it's about time a super duper modern one was built with curved stainless steel legs that might look like a giant caterpillar crawling out to sea ......

Anonymous said...

We used to go to Ainsdale Beach when I was a nipper. I think that's near Southport isn't it?
You were allowed to drive your car onto the beach and we used to set up an encampment (using the car as a windbreak - very necessary!) I remember eating tinned Irish stew heated up on a small stove run on methylated spirits (yes, it was usually that cold).
The other thing I remember was how far away the sea was...

Randompom aka AEIB said...

yep DP you did done see my doggy :-)

Under piers is a great place to be as we seldom get on under there (what you do in secret is your own affair ;-)

A giant curved sprawling caterpillar is a great idea for a pier... maybe Weston may take it up!!

Randompom aka AEIB said...

Oh Diane yes Ainsdale is near Southport as that is where I grew up.
In them days you could drive up and down the beach but alas it is not the case now.. cars are corralled in.. such a shame. I remember driving a car on there when I was way to young to drive on the road!!
I can so identify with the car and other things as wind breaks down there ... particularly when my cousins and aunt came up from London... the wind would be whistling but we had to stay the whole day as the beach was 'sacred'

I bet we were there at the same time ....but we never had to experience Irish stew though as we only lived a mile from Ainsdale beach... lol