Sunday 7 September 2008

la princess.........



Liverpool. this weekend, was visited by 'La Princess' a 50 foot robotic spider.

I can safely say that I would never have named a spider 'princess'! In our house spiders are usually called 'Oh My God' or simply 'arghhhh!'

It is all part of my city's accolade of being European City of Culture this year.. there are some great photos on their flickr site of some of the events that have gone on this summer.

Yesterday, my friends, my teen and I went to pay La Princess a visit

The weather was not what you call brilliant but hey what do we expect in the UK ... sunshine?? That would be a first !!!
We wandered down from Lime Street station

winding our way down to the Cunard Building on Liverpool's waterfront...... there are some great buildings around my city.... such impressive architecture.




Also noticeable are the images on buildings which remind us of the 'dirty wealth' that paid to build these magnificent monuments so long ago


Down on the waterfront is where we got our first glimpse of the 50ft spider... she was sleeping with a layer of snow that had soothed her to sleep the night before.



My did it rain then .............

We knew that she would be doing a tour of the city later in the afternoon so we strolled about the city, visiting Mathew Street and grabbed some lunch

We decided to pitch our camp on Lord Street up towards Derby Square to get a good view of the princess on her walkabout. My oh my it was busy ....
& then she appeared amongst gallons of water being sprayed into the awaiting crowds... it didn't bother anyone as we were all soaked anyway...



I love these guys they look like little model men


& there she was gone followed by her orchestra and many fans

5 comments:

sylvie d said...

Has it laid any eggs yet? The art company behind it have done a huge elephant machine near Nantes it is really breathtaking and I love the whole mise and scene with it :)
Jealous!!!

Randompom aka AEIB said...

Not seen or heard of any eggs yet! She has finished her tour this evening I must surf and see what she got up to.
There was Sultans elephant in London a couple of years ago .. I have only seen that on You Tube .. it looked fabulous
I love it all too and get quite annoyed at the comments I have seen about 'waste of money' etc do they have no soul ;-)

Daddy Papersurfer said...

Who says it's a waste of money!!!?! This is what money was invented for .... and shoes obviously ...... and fine wine, cigars and Bourbon ...... and yachts .... loads of things really ..... anyway, I'm with Froglet .... jealous!!!

Daddy Papersurfer said...

[that's bourbon whisky of course, not bourbon biscuits .... although they are quite nice too]

Randompom aka AEIB said...

there are many, unfortunately, who are saying it is a waste of money.....
It was magical ..

I understood it was Bourbon as it had a capital 'B'

So glad I saw it... so sorry you all couldn't see it live but You Tube has some great clips