Friday 9 November 2007

say cheese.........................

Once again listening to some local radio whilst surfing radio stations sat in traffic (not sure which station now) I listened for a short while about how the North West of England is blessed with great agriculture and fresh produce. Something to do with the rich soil (this is true where I live as I can grow absolutely anything in my garden... its the slugs that put a stop to them blossoming!!! but that is another story)
The lady on the radio was raving about local cheeses. I must say I have a weakness for our crumbly yummy Lancashire cheese, as a kid I would to go to the cheese shop and buy a couple of ounces and eat it on the way home.

It got me to thinking about different cheeses I have sampled in my life time ( yes I know a bit sad but remember I was sat in rush hour traffic)
Can't do Camembert or Brie, it is the strong smells that comes from them. I am a Port Salut junkie though and I love it at Christmas when you can readily buy cheddar & other cheeses with cranberries, herbs, oranges and the like. As an adult I have learned to love Parmesan although it smells like sick!! Can't do Italian with out now.

There is one cheese that will never pass my lips again after a close encounter in Lac de Chalin, Jura region in France and that is Compte cheese. The smell and the taste is dreadful I couldn't believe how bad it was coming from such a beautiful part of France.

Maybe this postcard explains why?? Is that ectoplasm???

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I were you, I'd get the crackers out. Trouble is, which crackers? TUCs dissolve under stress. Krackawheat suit a strengthy cheddar. What say you?

Randompom aka AEIB said...

What a late or early posting ??
TUC? a bit too salty
Krackerwheat? to dry
Now digestive biscuits are fab along with some cheesy melts ones that are made by the water biscuit peeps

Anonymous said...

It was a late posting. Much wine was drunk. It took me over an hour to type it.

Randompom aka AEIB said...

gosh you type better drunk than I do sober..... now that is a bit of a concern :-)

misterwoppit said...

I used my nose

Randompom aka AEIB said...

Now that makes me feel even betterer... you type better than me with your nose when drunk!!!!!