Thursday 22 November 2007

what did you say???

The English language has evolved over the years as one would expect. Reading script from census returns back to 1841 is a difficult task at times and further back is near darned impossible. It is a great challenge and achievement when you finally make sense of who left what to who in old wills.
Today one of my biggest challenges is trying to decipher text messages (txt msgs) from my teen or when she sends my MSN messages when staying away. It is a complete new written language. It takes a good old while before I understand what they say. She teases me when I reply in full!! I fear for her written work at school unecessarily as I have checked it and it looks ok.... I have concluded that teens today are in fact bilingual.

So not to be left behind I bought a little book in a bargain book shop, it cost all of 49p so a good buy. It gives over 1000 abbreviations, emotions and meanings of txt spk... so I have been swatting up tonight ... here goes with a few ... I will put the answers down at the bottom of the page (no peeking!!)

(1)IYDKIDKWD
(2)JM2p
(3)CMIIW
(4)ILTUWotIWanWotIRLyRLyWan
(5) :~(~~~
(6) *^_^*
(7) +!
(8) -!
(9) KIT
(10) #-)
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

(1)If you don't know I don't know who does
(2) Just my 2 penny-worth
(3) Correct me if I'm wrong
(4) I'll tell you what I want what I really really want (spice Girl revival!)
(5) I am moved to tears
(6) you are making me blush (???)
(7) Yes
(8) No
(9) Keep in touch
(10)we really have to get some sleep I can't go on partying all night every night

So it is GdntefrmMe, HvaGr8dy2mro :-) @}>-'-,--

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

L O. F U N E M? S, V F M. F U N E X? S, V F X. M N X N T 4 1!

Randompom aka AEIB said...

Now let me think? Laughing outwardly, Funny muse, very funny ..... ........ I give in as too much fine ozzy white has kicked in :-0
Please let me know as I am just on stage 1???

Anonymous said...

O O. I F 2 P. S T U C. N I F 2 P B 4 U, U C. S Y!!!

Anonymous said...

I only knew three :-(

Randompom aka AEIB said...

ooooo Mr W :( I don't know what it is?? Is it something about you finding 2p b4 me?
like 'oo. I found 2p. So there you see. Now I found 2p before you, you see. Silly you!!'
Still no idea about the 1st one ... pleeeese tell me (pretty please :))

Randompom aka AEIB said...

Nurse M that is 3 more than I would have got without the book, well done.
Have you any idea what Mr W is on about????

Anonymous said...

Its from a famous Two Ronnies sketch! Ronnie C goes into a cafe and says to Ronnie B "Hello. Have you any ham?" "Yes, we have ham" "Have you any eggs?" "Yes, we have eggs" "Ham and eggs and tea for one!"

Oh nevermind.....

Randompom aka AEIB said...

Oh Mr Woppit... you are so in the advanced class of txt spk you leave me standing in the corner of the classroom in a pointyed hat!!! lol

Anonymous said...

It's only your own time you're wasting. Stop swinging on your chair.

Are you chewing?

Randompom aka AEIB said...

It's wasn't me Sir .... it was her Sir

'bovvered!!!'