Sunday 12 August 2007

mañana

Well it was raining a bit here today so I thought it is time to do one of those ‘must do jobs… but there again there is always tomorrow’.

I have so many of ‘them’ it was hard to choose, eventually after my 4th cup of tea (& a bit of surfing) I opted for the ‘bookcase sort out’. Like my father, I cannot bear to throw books out, I have a love for books far too much to do that.

But what a task to choose! Of course each book I take off the shelf has to be flicked through.

I smiled as I recalled the stories in my head, when I bought it or how I came by it, thinking whether I would read it again or should it be boxed up and relegated to the loft. ( The loft isn’t as bad as it seems, because when I root up there occasionally they may well be promoted back on the shelves again… it’s a kind of crop rotation but with books)

Now I was doing quite well, I had reviewed about 10 books, all of which went back on the shelves (no loft fodder there)…. Then I came across The South American Handbook 1928. I have no idea where this actually came from but it holds a wealth of facts and information about each South American country. It is definitely one of my very favourites.


Some quotes from it!

'Photographs of subjects selected by oneself and taken with one’s own camera form the very best permanent records of a memorable experience. “Snaps” have an interest which places the camera among the least dispensable items in the traveller’s kit. In his photographic album the happy voyager lives again through the moments which he has traveled far to capture, and through his pictures he translates his impressions to his friends.'

Angling in Argentina

In Argentina we have a splendid climate. Farther north, where the dorado fishing is par excellences to be had, the summer weather is pretty hot, and one needs to be physically fit to enjoy it. The dorado is caught by spinning with a spoon either from the bank or boat, or frequently, wading, and the latter is not for the timid or weakling.’

Now when I visit South America I am fully prepared. I know the best routes out of the UK and which shipping line to choose (handy that as don't do the Big Silver Bird bit!)

I can stay in touch with friends and relatives whilst on board

(has to be cheaper than texting)

I know which hotels to stay in

( I wonder what the 'Diversions are that makes the time fly at the Miramar?? & what is a Native Toboggan?... think I will get the train. There seems to be a problem with running water in a couple of them ... don't think I will be staying there)

I know where to have my films developed and what type to buy.



Where to do my banking bits

What 200 ciggies to bring back

Where to shop (may be able to pick up a snazzy Panama hat)

I am glad to see that I can buy back issues I must sign up

So as I read on I noticed the following important information for travellers

Information for passengers~ Uruguay

‘Second-class, Intermediate and Third-class passengers require a certificate of good conduct and fitness to work. No person over sixty years of age, other than Uruguayan nationality, maybe booked Second, Intermediate or Third class, unless holding a ‘Permit to Land’; accompanied by a son in a position to maintain them or holding documentary evidence that they will be met by such a son on arrival at Montevideo.

Sexagenarians complying are further called upon to produce a passport and certificate of good conduct and fitness for work, vise by a Uruguayan Consul. All Third class passengers must be vaccinated at the port of embarkation before being allowed to land’

Information for passengers ~ Mexico

Every foreigner entering Mexico must provide himself with an identification card. The fee is 1s 1d.

The form of application must be filled in in Spanish and in triplicate. Eight photos are need, five being full-face and three in profile. Not more than two and one-eighth inches by one and three-quarter inches in size.

I have changed my mind it seems they have man eating mozzies over there.. I will stick to Bognor thanks



Needless to say the bookcase is not done but hey 'mañana'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great pics!

coincidentally I just received an email from my mother bemoaning the fact that she had to find homes for 2000 books she could no longer keep. AND in the middle of packing them up she started reading a book of essays - the final of which was called "The Book Disposal Problem"

Randompom aka AEIB said...

I just love the baby's face in the film cannister lol

Glad to see I am not the only one with a 'book problem' not quite got 2000 yet but there is time :-)