Wednesday 8 August 2007

Why is it?

If you check out the first posting on here you will see where I am today. My beloved car called 'Charlie (the computer is also called Charlie, my teen when she wasn't a teen when I bought him had a thing about the name) had to go in to have his side repaired after he picked a fight with some big iron gates.

Now you sign up with your insurance company to get a courtesy car should the unmentionable happen and you need wheels and yes I do. So off goes Charlie to the repair shop, a strapping 5 door, 2 litre diesel saloon, 110 bhp, hdi engine etc etc ... not a gas guzzler by no means or big omission beast he is one of the most economical 2 litres on the market.

So I waited for my inspection of my courtesy car in anticipation... would it be a comparable mode of transport but newer .. I was getting quite excited when she told me the car I was getting was only 6 months old.

We turned the corner into the carpark, walked along the rows of Alfas, Beemers, Volvos..........
'here it is!' she exclaimed

'where?' I replied
'there' she replied

OMG...
I will say at this juncture, I know it is a popular car if you want a 'little 'run around 2nd car, but I do serious driving on a daily basis.

It was a 1 litre automatic hairdryer nay tin can on wheels.
'does your licence allow you drive an automatic?' I was asked
'yes of course ' I replied .... gosh (I was thinking) I haven't driven an automatic in 20 years!!

We did the necessary paperwork and off I went to drive the 'hairdryer'

I sat for ages looking at the gear stick bewildered (D, R, 1, 2, P, N?????) I pulled and pushed at the gear stick it didn't move........... Oh a clever trick put your foot on the break and then it works!!
Then it darned well moves without you doing anything .. what is that about ??


Ok I am now in rush hour traffic panicking in case I rear end someone as I am now driving Herbie, who has a mind of its own.

What these last few days have taught me is 'have some respect for the small car driver'
My next car was going to be a Beemer but the amount of Wnker Beemer drivers that have tried to knock me off the road, cut me up, intimidated me is tantamount, to a criminal offence. ( I know who you are and once Charlie is back lets see who is boss!) what they don't know is there is not a scared tootling driver behind the wheel but a confident, couldn't give an F if you are trying it on driver there!!

The other thing I have realised is .... I have nearly died because the 'not so courtesy car' is far below in power and performance that I am used too (so when you pull out to over take the auto gears take a while.. did I say a while I mean an age!) plus I have put more fuel in this wee car in a few days than I do in my big beast in a week........ so wake up insurance companies ... give like for like

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so girly I can only drive an automatic :-(

Anonymous said...

I'm so girly I only drive automatics - but with big manly engines!

Randompom aka AEIB said...

NM~ there is nothing wrong with only being able to drive automatics.. infact I am getting quite used to having a hand free as I can do so much more non verbal communication with the Beemer drivers :-)

DP ~ ooo I do love a big manly engine ;-)

Anonymous said...

and put some lippy on while making a phone call. We all do that you know.

70steen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
70steen said...

Doh I wish you could edit once you have posted.......

What I was saying was... I must get an automatic oooooo to have a handfree (if you know what I mean ;-)) x