Friday 30 May 2008

i must, i must, i must...........

It is a dream come true. It is remarkable & in my home city too.

Today a special exhibition opened at one of my favourite galleries the Tate Modern.

The first comprehensive exhibition in the UK of the works of

Gustav Klimt
I have loved his work for as long as I can remember.

My father bought 5 hard backed books in the mid - late 60s that showed the different eras of art: Landmarks of the World's Art. (surfing the net I see there was one I am missing... Medieval World)
These books got me hooked on art, I would flick though them for hours on end as a child (& giggle with embarrassment at the naked people)... 40 years on they still have 'that' magic (minus the embarrassment).
Prehistoric and Primitive Man

The Classical World

The Age of Baroque
Man and The Renaissance

Then in the Modern World ... Gustav Klimt - The Kiss1911


Need I say more except I will, I must get myself over to the Tate and feast on the treasures it will reveal.

5 comments:

Daddy Papersurfer said...

Me likee Klimt ......

I had to suffer the likes of Gombrich, Giotto to Cezanne, Pevsner ...... all rather dry and boring - ho hum. The naked people still make me giggle ........
Did you see this?
http://stories-2-tell.blogspot.com/2008/05/after-short-trip-to-states.html

Daddy Papersurfer said...

Whoops, doesn't all show! Still, I'm sure you'll find it ..... probably

Randompom aka AEIB said...

http://stories-2-tell.blogspot.com/2008/05/
after-short-trip-to-states.html

That is so funny.
I like Cezanne particularly The Modern Olympia.

What diverse taste but Antoine Pevsner looks interesting....

(they still make me giggle particularly when I get out the shower lol)

Anonymous said...

so how was the tate?

I love that place

Randompom aka AEIB said...

HI NM I have not had a chance to go there yet. I think the exhibition is on until August. I am hoping that Sunny can get up here and we will go together......