Tuesday 30 October 2007

i'm dreaming of a ................?


Last week after Sunny & I had been awarded Blog of the Day, I rang Sunny to tell her the news and also to encourage her to post .
As you can see it hasn’t worked yet …… but I will persist (I know you will be reading this later Sunny lol)

Inevitably our conversation drifted away from the accolade bestowed on us to other matters that had occurred since we last spoke…….. art exhibitions, slight indiscretions and hysterical happenings/observations which left us both speechless laughing on either end of the phone.

One thing that Sunny did mention was she had had this dream a couple of nights previous.
She told me she had dreamt about this really handsome man and although she awoke during the dream her mind went right back to it. ‘he was so lovely’
I asked was the man like a smart suited Pearce Bronsan type and you had a feeling of peace, calm and kindness?
She replied ‘yes, it was just like that how did you know?’
I replied’ because I had the same dream a few nights ago and the feeling has stayed with me!’

Now I am as skeptical as the next person but this occurrence has me baffled. We live 150 miles away from each other and speak about once a week on the phone, in fact it had been 10 days since we had last been in contact.
So how come we had the same dream and what does it mean??

The subject of dreams and their meanings have had folk ferreting around for almost back to the beginning of time it would seem.
I surfed about a bit but got lost in the interwoven interweave.
Then I remembered I have an old book called ‘Everybody’s Book of Fate and Fortune’ aka in our house the book of ‘Spells’. Published C1930s.

The book has a variety of weird and wonderful items listed phrenology, graphology, numerology, chirognomy, cartomancy, Oracle de Napoleon and so on.
Listed under ‘Magic and the sub-sciences’ is Oneiromancy… what dreams mean.

It states ‘ there are dreams caused by some excitation of body or mind, by some stomachic derangement, by brooding or bodily ailments.
But the only type of dream that can be counted for Oneiromancy is the one that has no root cause in any of the above, which is so vivid it stirs us up on waking and in the right mind, we find it impossible to shake it off.’

Right so the dreams we had fit the bill so a chance for analysis… off to the dictionary of dreams contained I the book of ‘Spells’

I quickly realized that the list contained subjects that shall I say state the obvious:-

CAKE- family gathering or a pleasant surprise
CEMETERY- you will hear of a death
HANGMAN – You will get bad news
BRIGAND – suffer financial loss
DOCTOR – possibility of slight illness
FRIEND ABROAD – you will be going on an unexpected journey
RAT –someone is working against you under the guise of friendship
A FULL BAG – prosperity and happiness
ASPHYXIA – possible respiratory problems
BLOOD – you maybe involved in an accident

Then the complete contradiction in terms:-
CRIME/ SHIPWRECK/MURDER –complete success for your plans (huh??)
GAIETY – you will soon have reason to grieve
TO FOLLOW ONE’S OWN FUNERAL – Great and lasting success
COFFIN – Great happiness is coming to you
CONDEMNED TO DEATH – rapid advance in fortunes

Then the ‘how on earth do they reckon that???’
HANGED PERSON – very pleasant surprise
DRUNKEN FRIEND- great success & material well-being
CATERPILLAR – some important secret will be revealed
DARNED STOCKING – your greatest pleasure will be in the family circle
CHILBLAINS – you will be your own worse enemy
JAUNDICE – unexpected wealth

& the school boy/ girl snigger factors ones
BREASTS- you are about to receive an abundance of good things.
DOLL- you are going to have a pleasant time
WEATHER COCK- failure to decide could prevent success
RIDING- success in an important undertaking

Needless to say I have not found the meaning of our ‘smart, handsome, kind, warm, man’ in this quest, so it alas remains unanswered.

I mentioned this to my ‘er and she told me that she dreamed about a family union and her long lost grandfather was a transvestite!!!!! That wasn’t in the book either!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so dreaming of hangman is bad news but a hanged person is a pleasant surprise?

do many people play hangman in their sleep?

misterwoppit said...

I dreamt I was eating a giant marshmallow. When I woke up, my pillow was gone.

Boom boom!!

Randompom aka AEIB said...

Dreams are to bizarre for words ... yes NM how weird is that comparisonand what drugs were they on when they thought that out?

& Mr Wopitt.... where you once Basil Brush in a dream?