Monday 1 October 2007

the great british public

Now I am a great people watcher. I love nothing better than sitting in a café with a cappuchino and watching the world go by. Not much chance on many days due to a hectic work schedule and running a home/raising an ‘er & now a puppy!
But the great British public never fail to amaze me during my chaotic days.

Daily I am shoved and pushed on the commuter trains by people and I must say mostly males who obviously have not been taught any manners by their mothers (come on chaps we will all get on the train so lets not use brawn over brain everyday it is not attractive! you just appear to be a right Tw*t with your headphones on and free newspaper in hand!)

Today I had to shop for my ‘er in my lunch hour (which became a 2 hour lunch time due to meeting up with old colleagues for a chat en route and what is it with me I get stopped all the time to be asked directions… I must have ‘Ask me coz I have Manchester A – Z’ tattooed on my forehead??)

I had to go to Primark for gloves, tights, new school jumper etc. I stood for 40 minutes in a queue to be served. As I waited I observed the till operators (bearing in mind at one time I was a manager of a High Street retailer). To say they were slow would be an understatement (they would have been sacked in my day). There was no urgency in their trying to get the queue down, I have never seen a garment folded soooooooo slowly. They were glum and totally oblivious to the hoards of people waiting to get served.
When it was my turn I said something like ‘ oh you must have had such a busy day, I hope you got your lunchbreak? ' This was met with absolutely NOTHING..... not a smile, not a word just an automaton who carried on at a snail pace to deliver my purchase.
What is that about?? Lets just say I won't be in a hurry to shop there for a while!

But rest assured my faith was reinstated later. On my return home I need to go to the council tip with my old sofa (which I had disected with a saw on Sunday). I parked up and I asked a chap standing next to one of the skips which one I should put it in. He replied ‘this one’ and proceeded to unload my car of all the debris with me. I had bags of foam and bits in carrier bags. He said we have recycling bags that are better than that and off he went & came back with a pile of brilliant recycling bags which he placed in the boot of my car. He was happy and chatty and he made me smile.

So Thank You so much Recycling Man you were the star in my day :-)

4 comments:

Daddy Papersurfer said...

A smile goes a long way ......... unless it comes out like a grimace.
It's the bored ones that get me ..... it's self perpetuating in the end.

Randompom aka AEIB said...

Yes it does DaddyP and yours is such a lovely one !!
I know shop work can be boring (I know I have the t-shirt... ooo T-shirt that reminds me must do the thing for the competition!)
but to be down right obvious about it, those that so wind me up are the ones that look like they are chewing gum and would be filing their nails if they could.... is it a sign of getting old? I don't think so it is about standards and being polite

Sugarqueensdream said...

I love your blog, it's filled with humor and good times....
Peace!

Randompom aka AEIB said...

Thank you Sugar Queen for your lovely comments .... your blog is lovely full of love, kindness & peace
:-)